Friday, October 31, 2008

Not the best advertisement for long-distance running

In most normal sports, when an athlete comes off the pitch after a victory or fine performance, normally they offer platitudes expressing their delight and elation. Not so Galwayman Michael O'Connor, best of the Irish in last Monday's Dublin Marathon. In an immediate post-race interview reported by the Irish Times, O'Connor was quoted as saying:

"It's my last run," the father-of-two declared. "I've arthritis in both feet and I'm sick of it. It's time to go playing football with the young lad I think, and drink a few pints."

I just really can't imagine the such a frankly downbeat reaction coming from the winner of a national title in rival sports, such as Gaelic Football or soccer. Hardly the best advertisment to get youngsters into the marathoning, but then again I reckon if you've just run 26 and a bit miles in 02:21:00 you're pretty much entitled to say whatever the hell you want to say.

No comments: