Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Seven Mile Run

What is the point in having a few links to some (presumably useful) websites to the left of my blog postings if I’m not going to give some background on each of the websites?

That is a matter open to debate. Anyway, without further ado, I would like to extol the virtues of Mapmyrun.com.


The website is very user-friendly, and does exactly what it says on the address bar. Instead of using the tried and trusted secondary school geography class trick of an Ordnance Survey map, piece of paper and a ruler, users can now plot out routes (for running, walking, cycling, whatever-your-having-yourself) on maps of any location in the world, to calculate the distance of their run, walk, cycle or whatever-their-having-themselves.


I was pointed to the site in one of The Irish Times’ soccer correspondent, Emmet Malone's articles in which he detailed his preparations to run last October’s Dublin Marathon. This is what he said of the site:


The most straightforward website is mapmyrun.com , an easy to use site that allows you to mark out, record and share training routes in any location. Other features (these require free registration) include a training log, in which you can record every aspect of marathon build-up from distances and times to calorie intake and weight loss.


To cut to the chase, a couple of months ago I decided I would attempt a marathon myself, some time in Spring 2008. I spoke to a friend of mine, a veteran of one-and-a-half marathons, and he suggested running a half-marathon in January, in order to get his tally up to two but also as a preparation for a full one. So back onto Google I went, and found out about the Genk Half-Marathon, which is taking place in the town of Genk in Northern Belgium on January 13th. That is the only reason why I did the below run this afternoon.


Started at my house, then went to Ivan's, up by Thomond Park, right along Clancy Strand, crossed Sarsfield Bridge, down the steps, left up to Henry Street at Jury's, up along South Circular Road past Mary I, down Courtbrack Avenue, turned right passing heavy traffic, lots of trucks on the Dock Road, over the New Bridge, along the lower North Circular Road and home. Less than a month to go. In future I think I'm gonna try and avoid the Dock Road, you may as well put your mouth up to a truck's exhaust pipe and inhale.



No comments: